Dr. Robin Carhart-Harris is the Head of the Centre for Psychedelic Research, in the Department of Brain Sciences at Imperial College London, where he has designed a number of functional brain imaging studies with psilocybin (magic mushrooms), LSD, MDMA (ecstasy) and DMT (ayahuasca), plus clinical trials of psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression. His scientific contributions to psychedelic-assisted therapy could play a significant role in the future of psychedelics for mental health care.
Robin Carhart-Harris got his PhD at the University of Bristol (2009) and has worked at Imperial College London since then. When the Centre for Psychedelic Research was founded, he became its director.
He was recently listed in the TIME100 NEXT list (2021) as one of the innovators.
He is a member of the (scientific) advisory board of Synthesis, MIND Foundation, Mydecine, Compass Pathways, Beckley Psytech, Entheon, Tryp Therapeutics, Qualia Research Institute, Journey Colab, and Osmind.
Soon he will become the founding director of the Neuroscape Psychedelics Division at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
Notable Research Papers
- The entropic brain – revisited (Carhart-Harris, 2018)
- Serotonin and brain function: a tale of two receptors (Carhart-Harris & Nutt, 2017)
- Psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression: fMRI-measured brain mechanisms (Carhart-Harris et al., 2017)
- Psilocybin with psychological support for treatment-resistant depression: an open-label feasibility study (Carhart-Harris et al., 2016)
- The entropic brain: a theory of conscious states informed by neuroimaging research with psychedelic drugs (Carhart-Harris et al., 2014)
- Neural correlates of the psychedelic state as determined by fMRI studies with psilocybin (Carhart-Harris et al., 2012)
In our database you will also find him as an author on many more papers.
He has given many talks:
- Dr Robin Carhart-Harris – A Unified Model of the Brain Action of Psychedelics (Breaking Convention, 2019)
- Robin Carhart Harris – THE SCIENCE OF PSYCHEDELICS (London Real, 2019 – or find the first half on Youtube)
- Dr Robin Carhart Harris – How Do Psychedelics Work in the Brain? (Breaking Convention, 2013)
- Psychedelics: Lifting the veil | Robin Carhart-Harris | TEDxWarwick (TEDx, 2016)
- New $6.4M research program to advance psychedelics research and treatments (EurekAlert, March 2021)
- Dr. Robin Carhart-Harris Joins Osmind as a Scientific Advisor (press release, February 2021)
- Tryp Therapeutics Appoints Dr. Robin Carhart-Harris to Scientific Advisory Board (press release, February 2021)
- Big pharma is about to tune in to the potential of psychedelics (WIRED, January 2021)
- We can no longer ignore the potential of psychedelic drugs to treat depression (The Guardian, June 2020)
- The struggle to turn psychedelics into life-changing treatments (Wired, May 2020)