Dennis McKenna is an enthnopharmacologist, research pharmacognosist, lecturer, author, co-founder of the Heffter Research Institute and one of the elders in the psychedelic community.
From his bio:
“Dennis Jon McKenna’s professional and personal interests are focused on the interdisciplinary study of ethnopharmacology and natural hallucinogens. He received his doctorate in 1984 from the University of British Columbia, where his research focused on ethnopharmacological investigations of Ayahuasca and oo-koo-he, two indigenous Amazonian psychedelic medicines. He completed post-doctoral studies at the Helicon Foundation in San Diego (1984-86), the Laboratory of Clinical Pharmacology at NIMH (1986-88) and the Department of Neurology at Stanford University (1988-1990). He worked at Shaman Pharmaceuticals as Director of Ethnopharmacology from 1990-93 and relocated to Minnesota in 1993 to join the Aveda Corporation as Senior Research Pharmacognosist.
Dr. McKenna taught courses in Ethnopharmacology, Botanical Medicines and Plants in Human Affairs in the Center for Spirituality and Healing at the University of Minnesota from 2001 to 2017. He is a founding board member of the Heffter Research Institute and serves on the advisory board of non-profit organizations in the fields of ethnobotany and botanical medicines. He was a key organizer and participant in the Hoasca Project, an international biomedical study of Ayahuasca used as a sacrament by the UDV, a syncretic religious group in Brazil. From 2004 to 2008, he was the Principal Investigator on a project funded by the Stanley Medical Research Institute to investigate Amazonian ethnomedicines for the treatment of schizophrenia and cognitive deficits. In 2017, with the collaboration of many colleagues, he organized and presented a landmark symposium, the Ethnopharmacologic Search for Psychoactive Drugs: 50 years of Research.
In the spring of 2019, in collaboration with colleagues in Canada and the U.S., he incorporated a new non-profit, the McKenna Academy of Natural Philosophy. He emigrated to Canada in the spring of 2019 together with his wife Sheila, and now resides in Abbotsford, B.C.”
Dennis J. McKenna is a co-founder of the Heffter Research Institute and has also founded Symbio Life Science.
He is also active on Twitter.
Notable Research Papers
- Clinical investigations of the therapeutic potential of ayahuasca: rationale and regulatory challenges (McKenna, 2004)
- The scientific investigation of Ayahuasca: a review of past and current research (McKenna, Callaway & Grob, 1998)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors in South American hallucinogenic plants: tryptamine and β-carboline constituents of ayahuasca (McKenna, Towers & Abbott, 1984)
In our database you will also find him as an author on more papers.
- Dennis McKenna: Ethnopharmacologist, Author, Founder, and Advisor (Stream of Consciousness podcast, July 2020)
- New Wave Holdings Corp Appoints Dr. Dennis McKenna to Psychedelic Research Advisory Board (press release, June 2020)
- Joe Rogan Experience #1133 – Dennis McKenna (Joe Rogan Experience, June 2018)
- Joe Rogan Experience #946 – Dennis McKenna (Joe Rogan Experience, April 2017)
- Dr Dennis McKenna – Waking up the Monkeys: Plant Teachers and the Rediscovery of Nature (Breaking Convention, April 2019)
- Joe Rogan Experience #298 – Dennis McKenna (Joe Rogan Experience, January 2013)