Awakn Life Sciences aims to bring psychedelics therapy to the UK. Under this company fall three arms; psychedelic research, clinic platform, and practitioner training.
Awakn Life Sciences
“Awakn is a UK and European focused company that is dedicated to integrating psychedelics into mental healthcare. We work across three business lines of clinical research, therapeutic clinics and practioner training.”
The three arms of the company are:
- Psychcro – on-demand and clinical trials
- Psychedelic Clinics – introducing psychedelic-assisted therapy in the UK, under leadership of Ben Sessa
- Psychedelic Training Live (PTL) – psychedelic training for psychiatrists and psychologists, both in-person and online
Awakn started in 2020 and announced itself by buying a controlling (51%) stake in Ben Sessa’s private practice (Mandela Therapy Limited).
You can read their July 2020 investor presentation here.
In June 2021, Awakn announced it completed a private placement for aggregate gross proceeds of $6.64 million US.
Awakn is listed on the NEO exchange under the ticker AWKN.
Many of the key staff (below) have come from the cannabis industry (US/CA).
In October 2021, Awakn Clinics Bristol (UK) received formal approval from the Care Quality Commission’s (CQC) to begin treating patients using ketamine-assisted therapy. Awakn currently operates a clinic in Oslo, Norway and are awaiting approval to begin treating patients from their London location.
- David Nutt – Chairman, Scientific Advisory Board
- Ben Sessa – Chief Medical Officer
- George Scorsis – Chairman, Corporate Board
- Anthony Tennyson – Chief Executive Officer
- Jonathan Held – Chief Financial Officer
- Laurie Higbed – Lead Pychologist
- Dawn DeCunha – Advisor
- Mike Hart – Advisor
- Matthew Johnson – Scientific Advisory Board
Although AWAKN will most probably work with universities for their research, currently they don’t list partners.
- ‘The ketamine blew my mind’: can psychedelics cure addiction and depression? (The Guardian, March 2021)
- Ketamine on prescription at first psychedelic psychotherapy clinic in Britain (The Times, February 2021)
- Ketamine to treat depression and addiction at UK’s first medical psychedelic psychotherapy clinic (iNews, January 2021)
- Dr. Michael Mithoefer & Ann Mithoefer from MAPS Join AWAKN’s Scientific Board (press release, September 2020)
- Led By Dr. Ben Sessa, Prof David Nutt, Anthony Tennyson, and George Scorsis, AWAKN Life Sciences Inc. Launches Division to Study Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy (Market Business Watch, September 2020)
- AWAKN Life Sciences Launches Clinical Research Division with Prof. David Nutt & Dr. Ben Sessa Identifying Suitable Studies Across Europe & North America (September 2020)
- Dr. Matthew Johnson Joins AWAKN Life Sciences (September 2020)
- Professor David Nutt Joins AWAKN Life Sciences (July 2020)
- Psychedelic Medical Start-up Awakn Life Sciences Enters the Uk Market With Dr. Ben Sessa (June 2020)
B2C Pharmaceutical Clinic
Topics of Interest
Explore more company info with a Tree membership
📰 Weekly newsletter about the business of psychedelics
📈 Extended company information (analyst view, fundraising, revenue numbers)
🪄 Priority company page updates