Franz X. Vollenweider is one of the pioneering psychedelics researchers, currently at the University of Zurich. He is also the director of the Heffter (sponsored) Research Center Zürich for Consciousness Studies (HRC-ZH).
At the University of Zurich, Franz Xaver Vollenweider is the Co-Director of the Center for Psychiatric Research, Director of the Neuropsychopharmacology and Brain Imaging Unit, and Professor of Psychiatry in the School of Medicine.
He sits on the advisory board of the MIND Foundation.
He is recognized as a “leading expert in the areas of cognitive neuroscience and pharmacological models of psychosis and schizophrenia. His work links the area of psychopathology, cognitive neuroscience, psychopharmacology, and neuroimaging to study the neurobiology and to develop novel treatments for psychotic and affective disorders.” (from his University of Zurich bio)
Much of the work that he was able to do in the last few years of the almost complete stop of psychedelic studies (1960-2000) has laid the groundwork for much of the subsequent trials.
Notable Research Papers
- The neurobiology of psychedelic drugs: implications for the treatment of mood disorders (Vollenweider & Kometer, 2010)
- Serotonin research: contributions to understanding psychoses (Geyer & Vollenweider, 2008)
- Psilocybin induces schizophrenia-like psychosis in humans via a serotonin-2 agonist action (Vollenweider et al., 1998)
- Psychological and cardiovascular effects and short-term sequelae of MDMA (“ecstasy”) in MDMA-naıve healthy volunteers (Vollenweider et al., 1998)
In our database you will also find him as an author on many more papers.
He has given many talks:
- Franz Vollenweider: 5HT2A Receptor Agonists & Mood Disorders – Mood, Empathy & Social Pain (Psychedelic Science, 2017)
- David Nichols & Franz Vollenweider Q&A: Psychedelic Neuroscience (Psychedelic Science, 2017)
- Psychedelics & Mood Disorder – Prof. Franz Xaver Vollenweider University Zurich (Beyond Psychedelics, 2016)
- Neurobiology of Psychedelics: Implication for Mood Disorders – Franz Vollenweider (Psychedelic Science, 2013)
- Franz X. Vollenweider – Psychedelic States and The Brain: From Phenomenology to Neurophysiology (Breaking Convention, 2011)
- Horizons 2009: FRANZ X. VOLLENWEIDER, M.D. “Neuronal Network and Neurotransmitter Dynamics…” (Horizons, 2009)
Explore more info with a membership (any level)
🧑 Extended profile information
📈 In-depth psychedelic reports (Sprout & Tree)
🪄 Weekly psychedelic research & implementation newsletter (free)