Michael C. Mithoefer is a psychiatrist and a Clinical Investigator and acting Medical Director of MAPS Public Benefit Corporation.
He and his wife, Annie, completed the first phase 2 clinical trial of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD in 2009 and a subsequent study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD in military veterans, firefighters, and police officers. They are now supervising therapists in the ongoing MAPS Phase 3 trials of MDMA-assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD, leading training in MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for therapists interested in working on clinical trials and providing FDA-approved MDMA sessions for research therapists.
Michael Mithoefer is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina, is a Grof certified Holotropic Breathwork Practitioner, has been a Certified Internal Family Systems Therapist, and has been board certified in Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine and Internal Medicine.
Notable Research Papers
- 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-assisted psychotherapy for post-traumatic stress disorder in military veterans, firefighters, and police officers: a randomised, double-blind, dose-response, phase 2 clinical trial (Mithoefer et al., 2018)
- Durability of improvement in post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms and absence of harmful effects or drug dependency after 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine-assisted psychotherapy: a prospective long-term follow-up study (Mithoefer et al., 2013)
- The safety and efficacy of ±3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine-assisted psychotherapy in subjects with chronic, treatment-resistant posttraumatic stress disorder: the first randomized controlled pilot study (Mithoefer et al., 2010)
In our database you will also find him as an author on more papers.
- Psychedelics Can Be Used to Treat PTSD, Finds Yet Another Clinical Trial (Vice, January 2020)
- AMP #131 – Dr. Michael and Annie Mithoefer on The Truth About MDMA Therapy (Aubrey Marcus Podcast, December 2017)
- Michael Mithoefer & Annie Mithoefer: MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD (Psychedelic Science 2017)
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy for PTSD: Current Research – Michael Mithoefer & Annie Mithoefer (Psychedelic Science 2013)